Creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive design team is crucial to the success of a global design practice. HOK’s Diversity Advisory Council was started in 2013 and is charged with enhancing the culture of inclusion and equity at the firm’s 23 offices. The DAC co-chairs and the regional representatives work with the regional leaders as well as the firm executive leadership to lead efforts in developing a diverse practice and equitable growth opportunity for all.
During this session, each of the co-chairs and the Canada DAC representative will briefly review the initiatives that have been put in place over the last 6 years including
- firmwide mentorship;
- recruitment and engagement with diverse universities and design community;
- internal challenge to increase diversity in leadership;
- tracking engagement and inclusion efforts through a biannual survey; and
- regional efforts toward intercultural competence.
They will review why these initiatives were chosen and how successful they have been in improving firmwide diversity and inclusion.
At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify steps to set up committee/council to promote DEI efforts in single location vs. multiple office/multi-national firms
- Identify various initiatives/actions that can support DEI efforts toward reaching goals that are right for each firm
- Define criteria for success and means to analyze progress toward the goals identified.
- Apply strategies to engage with the broader professional and civic community to foster a greater sense of belonging for staff.
Subject Matter Experts
Farida Abu Bakare MRAIC, AIA Associate, LEED Green Associate l HOK
Shiva Mendez IIDA, CID, LEED AP BD+C, EDAC l HOK
Damon Sheppard AIA, LEED® AP BD+C l HOK
Kimberly Dowdell AIA, NOMA, NCARB, SEED, LEED AP BD+C l HOK
- Cancellation/Refund: Your access begins as soon as payment is processed. Please note, a refund is only available if you cancel within 5 business days of your initial order, and you have not accessed any content. An amount equal to *10% of the registration cost will be retained as an administration fee. Should you cancel after 5 business days, your payment is non-refundable. There are no exceptions to the cancellation/refund policy. Webinars and courses are not transferable.
- The RAIC reserves the right to cancel registrations for individuals who sign-up for the wrong category (member or non-member). Please select the correct membership category when registering to avoid interruption of service. Log into your member account to access member pricing. If you have any questions about which category to register for, please contact the RAIC education administrator at email@example.com
Access RAIC webinars in 3 easy steps:
- REGISTER online through the RAIC Store
- LOG IN to the RAIC Learning Management System
- ACCESS courses on your personal Education Dashboard
List price: $50.00