Design and development of the built environment, with sustainability in mind, can help mitigate climate change, support adaptation, and improve environmental and public health. The more resilient the built environment, the less it is impacted by climate change. This presentation demonstrates a five-step process that architecture and design firms can use to mitigate climate change risks from a physical and liability perspective.
Planning for Resilience in a Climate-changed World
Topics: Sustainability / Design
Length: 1 hour
What's included: video, quiz, certificate of completion
The world is focused on Covid-19 at present, but the pandemic is just a dress rehearsal for the environmental challenges that lay ahead: the climate is warmer, weather events are more extreme, and infrastructure fails to perform as expected. If Covid-19 upended the economy and society, what will it be like when the world is at least 2°C warmer? Thanks to Canadian research, we know the answers.
This presentation demonstrates a five-step process that architecture and design firms can use to mitigate climate change risks, from physical and professional liability perspectives. The buildings designed and constructed in the next five years will still be around when the number of cooling degree days (CDD) has increased substantially. If professional firms don’t design for this new normal, our buildings will undermine the wellbeing of occupants and communities.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to
- Recognize climate change impacts Canadian municipalities will face, at the city and building level
- Identify tools and best practices for accurately assessing climate impacts and integrating these into the design practice
- Analyze the impact of climate change on buildings and the built environment, and identify a business case for building climate resilient buildings.
- Apply a risk management framework for mitigating risks on construction projects
Subject Matter Expert
Member: $50 / Non-Member: $75
Buy 5 webinars and save 10% on your order!
Buy 10 webinars and save 25% on your order!
This webinar is part of a series! See more like this here.
- Cancellation/Refund:Your access begins as soon as payment is processed. Please note, a refund is only available if you cancel within 5 business days of your initial order, and you have not accessed any content. An amount equal to *10% of the registration cost will be retained as an administration fee. Should you cancel after 5 business days, your payment is non-refundable. There are no exceptions to the cancellation/refund policy. Webinars and courses are not transferable.
- The RAIC reserves the right to cancel registrations for individuals who sign-up for the wrong category (member or non-member). Please select the correct membership category when registering to avoid interruption of service. Log into your member account to access member pricing. If you have any questions about which category to register for, please contact the RAIC education administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Access RAIC webinars in 3 easy steps:
- REGISTER online through the RAIC Store
- LOG IN to the RAIC Learning Management System (LMS)
- ACCESS courses on your personal Education Dashboard