Accessible Architecture: Beyond the Ramp
This webinar was part of the RAIC 2021 Virtual Conference on Architecture
Topics: Health, Saftey and Accessibility
Length: 1 hour | What's Included: Video, Quiz, and Certificate of Completion
This webinar is available to stream!
In his presentation, architect and writer, Ron Wickman will introduce his new book and his 9 concepts of Accessible Design. Wickman breaks the practice of accessible architecture into nine concepts, using lived experience and built design projects to illustrate his points. Experiential architecture means that the paths and means of movement in a building need to be clearly organized and intuitively locatable. Where to start? Wickman suggests you borrow a friend or colleague in a wheelchair or someone who is blind for a day. Experience the built environment the way they experience it.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Describe how accessible design can simultaneously satisfy users with a variety of disabilities;
- Discuss accessible design as part of the design process from its inception;
- Identify a number of different areas, both outside and inside of buildings, to achieve purposeful and positive accessible design that goes beyond the minimum requirements of the Building Code;
- Explain how accessible design that adapts to the needs of the end users throughout a day or a life cycle has sustainability and flexibility to last a lifetime.
Subject Matter Expert
Ron Wickman, BA, BEDS, M.Arch., Architect, AAA, MRAIC / Principal, Ron Wickman Architect
Available Until: December 31, 2022
This is a recording of a live event.
webinar is part of a series! See more like this here.
- Cancellation/Refund: Your access begins as soon as payment is processed. Please note, a refund is only available if you cancel within 5 business days of your initial order, and you have not accessed any content. An amount equal to *10% of the registration cost will be retained as an administration fee. Should you cancel after 5 business days, your payment is non-refundable. There are no exceptions to the cancellation/refund policy. Webinars and courses are not transferable.
- The RAIC reserves the right to cancel registrations for individuals who sign-up for the wrong category (member or non-member). Please select the correct membership category when registering to avoid interruption of service. Log into your member account to access member pricing. If you have any questions about which category to register for, please contact the RAIC education administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Access RAIC webinars in 3 easy steps:
- REGISTER online through the RAIC Store
- LOG IN to the RAIC Learning Management System
- ACCESS courses on your personal Education Dashboard