This summarizes a research thesis that asks the question: Is there a disparity between how professional designers understand their work and how design contributions are understood by those within the business management sector? The presentation provides several insights developed through academic research to increase awareness for the concerns of designers among those outside of the design field.
The Perception of Design Contribution within the Business Management Sector: A Comparative Study
Topics: Design / Business
Length: 1 hour l What's included: video, quiz, certificate of completion
Available June 17 - Pre-register for the webinar today and be notified when content is ready to stream!
The professions of business and design are based on distinct modes of knowledge and process but are interdependent in practice. The capacity of the designer to innovate can be negatively impacted if their understanding of design contribution is misaligned with that of the business manager. To how design is perceived by those who procure design services, there is a need to first illustrate how their perception deviates from that of the designer. This session presents research into design understanding as a comparison between design professionals and business managers. Data for the study is obtained using both ethnographic and design research methods. Results demonstrate issues associated with understanding the complex nature of design activity through a quantitative, linear approach versus an iterative, exploratory process.
Available until: December 31, 2022
Member: $50 / Non-Member: $75
This webinar is part of a series! See more like this here.
- Cancellation/Refund: Your access begins as soon as payment is processed. Please note, a refund is only available if you cancel within 5 business days of your initial order, and you have not accessed any content. An amount equal to *10% of the registration cost will be retained as an administration fee. Should you cancel after 5 business days, your payment is non-refundable. There are no exceptions to the cancellation/refund policy. Webinars and courses are not transferable.
- The RAIC reserves the right to cancel registrations for individuals who sign-up for the wrong category (member or non-member). Please select the correct membership category when registering to avoid interruption of service. Log into your member account to access member pricing. If you have any questions about which category to register for, please contact the RAIC education administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- REGISTER online through the RAIC Store
- LOG IN to the RAIC Learning Management System
- ACCESS courses on your personal Education Dashboard