This on-demand covers the National Building Code of Canada Part 9, and is designed to aid participants prepare for the ExAC Exam!
NBCC Part 9 Housing and Small Buildings
The National Building Code of Canada Part 9 is designed to engage the participant in the learning process by organising the course into modules, with self-study and sample project applications with interactive Question and Answers, to check learner knowledge acquisition.
The modules will be presented in four sessions over two days. At the end of the training, the participant will be able to understand and apply the National Building Code of Canada 2015 Edition (NBCC) Part 9 provisions to small buildings and houses.
At the conclusion of this on-demand course, participants will be able to
- Familiarize themselves with the terminology of the NBCC in general and in Part 9
- Interpret and apply the min provisions of the NBC to the design, construction and occupancy of small buildings and houses
- Apply the prescriptive standards and acceptable solutions of NBCC Part 9 related to structural design, materials, health and safety, fire protection and life safety.
- Describe the requirements for achieving design compliance using alternative solutions, as set out in NBC Division A and in Subsection 1.1.2. of Division B of
- Identify Code objectives and functional statements associated with prescriptive requirements
Subject Matter Expert
The learning modules are specific to:
- NBCC code structure and Parts
- Terms and Definitions
- Classification of buildings as Part 9 buildings
- Fire walls and fire separations
- Fire resistance determination
- Spatial separations and exterior walls construction
- Design of areas, spaces and special structures
- Health and safety provisions
- Means of egress
- Fire protection and life safety
- Material specifications
- Building Envelope
- Structural provisions
- Thermal efficiency
Reference materials for this course, include the 2015 National Building Code of Canada (2015) Volumes 1 and 2 in addition to the training course power point presentation which can be downloaded once registered for the course.
- Online course delivery by the instructor, and
- Reading of the reference material,
- Online knowledge check exercises.
Individuals will need to have both volumes of the 2015 NBCC as references for the courses.
Subject Matter Expert
Amal Tamim, M.Sc. FPE
Senior Consultant l Jensen Hughes
- The ExAC was developed to test the minimum standards of competency acquired by an Intern during the Internship period, to ensure both public safety and the professional and skilled delivery of architectural services. It is adopted by all the Canadian Licensing Authorities. These webinars are not endorsed by the Committee for the Examination for Architects in Canada.