Occupancy: April 5, 2017
Construction Budget: withheld
Princeton University's campus is simultaneously grounded in the past and continuously evolving to respond to future needs. 20 Washington Road represents the latest generation of campus development, prioritizing the regeneration of existing buildings. Built for the Department of Chemistry in 1929 by prominent Collegiate Gothic architect Charles Klauder, the challenge was to balance the preservation and restoration of the heritage exterior with a contemporary interior transformation to a light-filled, interconnected destination for the Department of Economics and International Initiatives.
Abridged Project Credits:
(see Architecture Canada publication out in Fall 2022 for more details)
Client - Princeton University
Structural Engineer and Building Envelope- Thornton Thomasetti
Mechanical / Electrical / Plumbing / Fire Protection - Altieri Sebor Wieber
Civil Engineer - Van Note-Harvey and Associates
Building Code / Fire and Life safety - Phil R. Sherman, P.E.
Cost Consultant - Vermeulens
Specifications - Brian Ballantyne
AV / Acoustics - Cerami & Associates
Elevator - Van Deusen
Lighting - Tillotson Design Associates
Signage - Entro Communications
Heritage - Jablonski Building Conservation
Sustainability - Atelier Ten
Landscape - Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates
The careful design of this project promotes a respectful relation between historic building preservation and contemporary architecture. The building creates generous spaces, brings abundant light into an interior courtyard, and creates a truly livable space.