The Centre Block Rehabilitation and New Parliament Welcome Centre
This webinar was part of the RAIC 2021 Virtual Conference on Architecture
Topics: History, Heritage and Culture
Length: 1 hour | What's Included: Video, Quiz, and Certificate of Completion
This webinar is available to stream!
The Centre Block is an icon of democracy. It’s a source of national pride and instantly recognizable around the world as a symbol of Canada.Modernizing and restoring this iconic heritage building presents a myriad of design challenges and unique opportunities. In addition to preserving the building for the future, this project aims to accommodate the needs of a growing democracy, welcome an increasing number of visitors, and improve the experience for everyone who uses the building. Integrating sustainability, accessibility, building codes, new building systems, seismic upgrades and new program requirements in a heritage context make this one of the most complex and sensitive design undertakings happening globally. Join our presenters for a discussion of the Centre Block and Parliament Welcome Centre project, review of the guiding design principles and a presentation of the conceptual design.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Describe the design process adopted by PSPC for the renewal of the Centre Block including the role of the IDRP;
- Identify the challenges of modernizing an iconic heritage building and the design possibilities revealed by this once in a generation opportunity;
- Identify the strategies for improving the experience for everyone who uses the building.
Subject Matter Experts
FAIA , CEO and Chairman, HOK
Available Until: December 31, 2022
This is a recording of a live event.
webinar is part of a series! See more like this here.
- Cancellation/Refund: Your access begins as soon as payment is processed. Please note, a refund is only available if you cancel within 5 business days of your initial order, and you have not accessed any content. An amount equal to *10% of the registration cost will be retained as an administration fee. Should you cancel after 5 business days, your payment is non-refundable. There are no exceptions to the cancellation/refund policy. Webinars and courses are not transferable.
- The RAIC reserves the right to cancel registrations for individuals who sign-up for the wrong category (member or non-member). Please select the correct membership category when registering to avoid interruption of service. Log into your member account to access member pricing. If you have any questions about which category to register for, please contact the RAIC education administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Access RAIC webinars in 3 easy steps:
- REGISTER online through the RAIC Store
- LOG IN to the RAIC Learning Management System
- ACCESS courses on your personal Education Dashboard