A Guide to Determining Appropriate Fees for the Services of an Architect 2019 Edition is developed by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada to support clients and architects in identifying the scope of architectural services and determining appropriate fees for those professional services.
The primary purpose of the Fee Guide is to support a fair exchange of value in establishing appropriate fees for an architect’s professional services. Because of these significant changes in the design and construction industry, it is impossible to assume that the same professional fee will be appropriate for all projects even if the projects are of the same size and building type. Requirements will vary, and this document will help both client and architect in determining the appropriate fee for an architect’s services for their unique building project.
A Guide to Determining Appropriate Fees for the Services of an Architect 2019 Edition includes:
· The value that good design and architectural services deliver to the client
· Descriptions of the different methods of compensation for architectural services
· Fee distribution over a project’s life cycle for both traditionally phased projects as well as those using Building Information Modelling (BIM)
· Updated definitions, fee tables, and lists of basic and additional architectural services
· Comparative information about project delivery methods,
· A wide range of factors to consider when defining the scope of both the project and the services as well as the appropriate fee for those services
· New and updated schedules and appendices for services
A Guide to Determining Appropriate Fees for the Services of an Architect 2019 Edition is available as both a PDF document and as a printed book in both French and English. The Fee Guide 2019 is available in a non-printable PDF format to RAIC members at no charge and to non-members for $20.00 plus tax. The printed book is available for $40 plus tax.