Virtual Reality (VR) has become a wildly popular tool for not only the presentation of a project but also the process of designing a space. The use of this tool can help us overcome one of the largest challenges as designers – convincing the client that our 2D representations will feel the same when constructed in reality. VR allows the user to gain a sense of scale and space that a drawing simply cannot.
In this webinar, Carleton Immersive Media Studio researchers Joshua Chartrand and Julia Laninga will detail the process of bringing a Building Information Model (BIM) into Unreal Engine for use in a Virtual Reality headset. Using the Canadian Senate Foyer as a case study, they will first show how to convert the model into an Unreal asset using a commercial plugin, Datasmith. Next, they will demonstrate the problems that can occur when bringing Revit-based geometry into a game engine. Afterward, they will share a simple workflow on how to clean up a mesh in a 3D modeling software. Finally, they will compare the results between an untouched mesh and an optimized mesh in a Virtual Reality headset.
At the completion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
Available Until: December 31, 2022
- Cancellation/Refund: Your access begins as soon as payment is processed. Please note, a refund is only available if you cancel within 5 business days of your initial order, and you have not accessed any content. An amount equal to *10% of the registration cost will be retained as an administration fee. Should you cancel after 5 business days, your payment is non-refundable. There are no exceptions to the cancellation/refund policy. Webinars and courses are not transferable.
- The RAIC reserves the right to cancel registrations for individuals who sign-up for the wrong category (member or non-member). Please select the correct membership category when registering to avoid interruption of service. Log into your member account to access member pricing. If you have any questions about which category to register for, please contact the RAIC education administrator at email@example.com
- REGISTER online through the RAIC Store
- LOG IN to the RAIC Learning Management System
- ACCESS courses on your personal Education Dashboard