The RAIC is seeking new and innovative proposals for an urban marker to be displayed at the 2017 RAIC/OAA Festival of Architecture, taking place in Ottawa from May 24-27.
The competition is open to RAIC or OAA Intern members located in Ontario and Quebec. Teams or individuals may enter.
The 2015 winning entry, Public Speaker, was displayed at the Festival of Architecture in Calgary. It was designed as a vessel for dialogue in the public realm and an amplifier for citizens to share their thoughts. The Public Speaker was comprised of an alcove for sitting.
The design criteria for the 2017 Marker are as follows;
It should be:
- striking and inspiring in its formal and material constitution;
- visible, both by day or by night;
- able to incorporate a limited amount of text, logos, and colour;
- easy to transport;
- easy to assemble and to take down;
- able to withstand spring/summer/fall weather (sunshine, rain, snow, wind, etc.);
- have a shelf life (i.e. be easy to store, transport, and assemble again) to exceed the OAA / RAIC Festival. (It is expected that the marker will live on in Ottawa for future events, ie. 4 year minimum).