Who We Are
Zeidler Architecture has been creating spaces that shape experiences for over 65 years. We are a leading Canadian architectural practice bringing together the experience of some 150 professionals in six locations worldwide. Our rich award-winning portfolio spans industry sectors, allowing us to offer a unique perspective that brings innovation and adaptability to each project we deliver. As a team, we create spaces that contribute to community and encourage personal connection by welcoming all people. The process of developing responsive solutions motivates us as we translate ideas into reality. Attuned to innovations in sustainability, accessibility, design theory and materiality, we base our design decisions on evidence.
Our Vancouver Studio
Zeidler Architecture has a new and exciting opportunity for our growing Vancouver Studio. In Vancouver we aim to strengthen and expand our diverse portfolio of inspiring buildings while embracing locally grown ideas, processes, technologies, and opportunities. With our people first approach, we are looking for passionate and enthusiastic individuals to help bring a creative and collaborative culture into our new studio. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace and establishing a team of individuals that will build on each other’s ideas to create thoughtful solutions. Our Vancouver studio will be at the forefront of sustainable design and we believe that in order to create a positive impact on communities and the built environment, we must address environmental challenges and understand that the environment is an expression of cultural, economic, and natural forces. Zeidler is united by a shared passion for meaningful design and a continual push to be better, advance our learning, and ensure that each design meets its innovative potential.
What We Are Seeking
As a Studio Director, and in conjunction with Vancouver based Managing Director, Senior Associate and the Zeidler Partnership, you will be responsible for the growth, management, and profitability of the Vancouver office. This includes working with our CFO in the preparation of annual forecasts based on the market climate and objectives of various sectors, make adjustments throughout the year as necessary and report on results on a regular basis to senior management. Together with Marcos and Margo, the three of you will lead the strategic direction from a regional perspective and liaise with Partners to collaborate on national initiatives.
Additionally, you will manage staffing levels to ensure resources are available for projects at the right time. You will review project work for technical and design excellence, on-time delivery and financial success. You will contribute to the office’s annual operating budget, based on the Studio’s revenue forecasts and growth objectives. The Zeidler culture is extremely important and it will be your responsibility to ensure that it extends through the Vancouver office. As a Studio Director, you will lead by example including providing mentorship to staff. Continual improvement is a hallmark of the firm and something we strongly encourage for our entire team. We look forward to you bringing these types of opportunities forward, especially for individuals in senior leadership positions. In addition to managerial duties you will also be involved in billable project activities based on the needs of the firm.
Duties and Responsibilities
Client Management and Business Development
• Participates in business development through personal and new client contacts; provide input to proposals and presentations
• Identify, analyze and pursue potential business opportunities with existing and prospective clients to maximize growth and increase market share
• Set realistic and attainable goals for business development, monitors progress on a regular basis
• Liaise with senior management teams to develop and implement strategic planning initiatives to increase growth and market diversification
• Ensure appropriate coordination and communications within the studios and across our offices
• Assume a liaison role with other regional groups to align standards, capabilities and strategic direction
• Monitors level of service given to clients; analyzes trends and makes changes as required to ensure exemplary delivery
• Perform continual reviews and makes recommendations on business procedures and methods of practices
• Monitor the competitive landscape to ensure in-depth knowledge of factors affecting the marketplace and develop action plans to capitalize on opportunities and mitigate the impact of risk on the business
• Leads planning, scheduling and financial aspects of all Studio projects to prioritize activities and allocate resources consistent with project needs and objectives
• Assists or determines project budgets, work plans and deliverables to fully plan project execution
• Participates in monthly project reviews to analyze performance, profitability and risk
• Attends meetings necessary and liaises with various stakeholders to determine project criteria, deliver presentations, coordinate resources and provide information as requested
• Shares expert knowledge of current design techniques, building systems, code analysis and construction methodologies to improve the skills of the Vancouver studio and to ensure they are implemented on project work
• Routinely reviews work for general conformance to design, technical and quality requirements
• Develops, implements and manages an annual operating plan for the Vancouver Studio; reviews and updates this plan on a monthly basis; strategizes and modifies plan moving forward to suit changing conditions
• Balances project workloads with requirements to ensure the financial health and general well-being of the Studio
• Oversees workloads and provides staff supervision to ensure that work is done accurately, efficiently and complies with policies, procedures and standards as well as best working practices
• Takes responsibility for succession planning within own area
• Encourages productivity, innovation, teamwork, and a high level of professionalism within own discipline; leads by example
• Build on the existing Zeidler Culture
What You Will Bring
• A minimum of 15 years of progressive experience, with a minimum of 5 years in a similar leadership role, with a focus on business development and staff management
• Registered with AIBC.
• LEED or Passive House certifications are considered an asset
• Advanced architectural design skills in Revit are required; knowledge and skills of AutoCAD, SketchUp, PhotoShop, and other architectural design software are expected
• Working knowledge of building codes, standards, building construction, MEP and building structures
• Prior experience in strategic development, business development, project management and client management is required
• Possess excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, flexibility and resourcefulness
Benefits + Perks
Zeidler believes in a work-life balance and valuing our people with benefits like:
• PATO Days – enjoy an extra day off on long weekends
• Competitive compensation and benefits
• Annual profit share
• Flexible hours & a hybrid work from home model
• Wellness initiatives
• Training & education support
• Mentorship and continuous learning
• Social events
• Fun work environment and great firm culture… and so much more
What to do now
If you are a motivated, creative, and inspired individual who has the ambition to grow and enjoys working in a collaborative, exciting, and fast-paced environment surrounded by challenging opportunities, we would like to hear from you. Please apply here! https://easyapply.co/a/cf2a18cf-2de7-42e9-9a08-cba85d0b958b
Zeidler is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants, and stand by our principles for a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and we encourage applications from, but not limited to visible minorities, peoples with disabilities, racialized peoples, Indigenous peoples, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
Please let us know if you require any accommodations throughout the interview process. We will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate.