Reporting to the Chief, Building Architecture, the Senior Architect plans, coordinates, organizes and prepares or directs the development of architectural plans, studies, designs and specifications documents for NCC projects. The Senior Architect provides professional and technical advice to the NCC and to external governmental agencies and or partnerships.
University degree in Architecture from an accredited Canadian university, or the equivalent as established by the Canadian Architectural Certification Board, if obtained outside Canada.
CERTIFICATE / LICENSE
Must be licensed or eligible to become a Member of l’Ordre des Architectes du Québec (OAQ) or Ontario Association of Architects (OAA).
A minimum of eight (8) years holding progressively significant responsibilities in providing professional services in Architecture:
• Extensive experience in providing professional and technical advice
• Developing concepts and design options
• Developing design guidelines/briefs
• Rehabilitation and conservation projects (heritage windows, masonry and roof rehabilitation)
• Extensive technical knowledge in construction detailing
• Preparation of tender ready contractual documents
• various 2D and 3D design software such as AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, Vray, etc.
• NCC mandate, mission and role in the National Capital Region
• National Building Code
• Knowledge of universal accessibility, heritage conservation, sustainability principles
• Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada
• Contract management principles and procedures
• Overseeing the development of contract procurement strategies and contract documents
• Monitoring the work of consultants and contractors and interpret the terms and conditions of contracts to ensure compliance
KEY LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
• Person of integrity, who is honest and shows a consistent and uncompromising adherence to strong moral and ethical principles and values
• Ability to build trust and ear respect with people (colleagues, stakeholders and clients)
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to work under pressure
• Strong commitment to excellence and attention to detail in compliance with quality work standards
• Communicates effectively with all personality styles in a professional and socially acceptable manner
• Demonstrates a positive attitude and good energy towards daily goals and objectives
• Capacity to lead and work in a multidisciplinary team;
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Eligibility to obtaining secret security clearance.
• Bilingual (BBB)
• Employee training program focused on the development of the identified skills and competencies
• Employee benefits package
• Office in the heart of downtown Ottawa (40 Elgin st)
• Stimulating projects and dynamic work environment
• Year-round social, cultural and sporting activities
This process may be used to create a list of qualified candidates to staff similar positions with various tenures, security levels or linguistic profiles within the National Capital Commission.
The NCC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity and encourages candidates to indicate voluntarily in their application if they are a woman, an Indigenous person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority group.
The NCC is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the Human Resources representative of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. If you require additional information on the position or if you are experiencing technical difficulties, please contact us at email@example.com.
Hearing impaired and speech impaired persons can contact us through a Teletype Device (TTY) at (613) 239-5090 or 1-866-661-3530 (toll free).
Candidates must meet the essential qualifications; your résumé must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements. Candidates may be required to meet the asset qualifications depending on the requirements of the specific position being staffed. Meeting one or many of the asset qualifications may be a deciding factor in selecting a particular candidate amongst the qualified candidates. Please note that one, some, or all of the asset qualifications could be used at any phase of the selection process.
A short list of candidates will be selected for interview and/or exam based on a combination of experience, career progression and achievements, and overall presentation in the application.
Please note that in addition to all assessment methods, correspondence and communication in relation to this selection process may also be used to assess certain qualifications.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
*The male form used in this offer refers to both women and men.