AMSTED DESIGN-BUILD is in search of an extraordinary Design Manager to join our team.
The ideal candidate will be available to start in early March 2019.
- Responsible for quality of all design solutions from design department, while providing constructive feedback & be your team and our clients “Trusted Advisor”
- Work collaboratively with Sales and Construction teams to design great solutions for our clients. You will apply good design principles within the constraints of a reasonable budget, while being sensitive to the existing structure and surrounding community if any.
- Sell designs to clients, maintaining customer satisfaction and expectations with design/budget through design and construction.
- Responsible for all aspects of design, delivery and selections:
- Design: site measurement (manual & Lidar), input as-found dimensions, space plan, verify zone and restrictions, prepare concept drawings, prepare design presentations, provide detail construction/working drawings, design structural and interior details, manage design decisions.
- Construction: prepare construction packages, ensure delivery of selections to job site at appropriate time, interact with sub-trades, provide construction support, liaise with construction and client to ensure what was sold is being built.
- Administrative: manage designers, collect and manage company specific data, collect and manage job specific data, attend periodic site-visits for projects in construction, provide award submissions support.
- Examine concept/schematic drawings for conformity and errors
- Oversee plan circulation to production team, trades and suppliers
- Ensure drawing revisions & document filing/uploading in accordance with company standards.
- Provide support to the project team as it relates to organizing, preparing and reviewing documentation and matters relating to residential construction packages
- Work cooperatively with sales to fulfill client requirements (design solutions and budget)
- Lead weekly ‘one-on-one’ meetings with each in-house team member
- Perform annual performance reviews & career planning
- Facilitate monthly Team meetings (team building)
- Continue development of policies & procedures and manage approved design and selection templates and standards
- Motivate, mentor and inspire team to perform at optimum levels in a fun, nurturing environment.
- Update all information as requested by appropriate team members due to changes or modifications throughout the design and construction process
- Site visits/inspections for problem solving as needed
- Keep informed on new products and design trends
- Represent company and teammates at industry events
- Maintain company culture
What you bring to the role (aka Skills and Qualifications):
- 10+ years of fulltime, residential design work experience (both new custom homes & renovations) and be self-motivated with a strong work ethic who takes pride in the quality of their work
- Experience working with the City of Ottawa will be considered a significant asset
- Ability to represent self and company in professional, knowledgeable manner
- Entrepreneurial spirit, highly organized, strong desire for customer service & strong leadership skills
- Management experience required as you will be managing & mentoring our “Design Team”; team consists of in-house Architectural Technologists (2), Architectural Technician (1), Selections Coordinator (1; Interior Designer) and several outsource designers.
- High level of proficiency in residential design on Revit /+ AutoCAD platforms
- Sound knowledge of the Ontario Building Code
- Solid computer skills (MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent listening and communication skills - written and verbal (you will regularly liaise with sales, design, production and clients)
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability and willingness to revise work
- Knowledge of residential interior detailing
- Knowledge of energy efficient & environmental/green building practices
- Architectural designation an asset
- Detail oriented (extremely important)
- Excellent organizational skills
- A laugh now and then (we like to have fun!)
What you should know about us (aka Why You Want to Work Here):
- The work you do makes a difference: Our team-player employees are the basis of our solid foundation on which we built our reputation of 30 years as an award-winning and life changing design-builder of interiors, renovations, additions and custom homes.
- You will have a voice: We are looking for someone who can bring initiative to the job and has recommendations and solutions to our challenges. We will listen; your opinions will not fall on deaf ears.
- You will be appreciated: a strong work ethic, loyalty and accountability is appreciated… and rewarded.
- Learning new skills and getting your hands dirty is important: Figuratively speaking. Simply put, we want someone who won’t back down from a challenge when things get “dirty”. We want someone with a sense of teamwork, not entitlement, who’s adaptable, not rigid. Although you will need many skills to apply, we feel that certain skills can be learned while attitude and personality cannot.
- We give back to the community - a lot: We sponsor several charitable events and causes with money, services and expertise.
We strive to provide a work environment that is enjoyable and achieves a balance between work and personal time. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm, however, your schedule will require flexibility for evenings and weekends based on the production schedule.