Do you possess an expertise in architecture? Are you interested in using your architectural expertise in new ways by protecting and defending the profession? We are a dedicated multi-functional team of architects, lawyers and insurance professionals, laser-focused on serving the architectural community in Ontario. We would like to invite you to join our team as a Claims Specialist.
As a Claims Specialist, you will manage a portfolio of professional liability insurance claims for our architectural customers. An advocate for the architectural profession, you will be responsible for providing policy-holders with a vigorous defence within our policy coverage, while ensuring prudent and effective cost containment and oversight.
Reporting to the Vice President, Claims & Legal and working as part of an integrated team, you will:
- Determine coverage: Assess relevant policies to determine coverage available.
- Investigate: Research, gather and analyze documentation, including: evidence, expert reports, legal pleadings, building codes, construction products and building systems.
- Evaluate liability and damages Working with internal and external experts, you will assess the potential extent of the policyholders’ liability to quantify damages sought or loss suffered by third party(s).
- Financial management:Maintain accurate and timely reserves, actively and effectively mitigate and manage costs and expenses.
- Oversee and Engage experts:Engage professionals and consultants and assess liability. Direct internal and external counsel and other consultants.
- Mediate, Negotiate & Settle:working with the VP Legal & Claims and both internal and external counsel, you will ensure appropriate litigation strategies are identified. You will support the full claims lifecycle including mediations, pre-trial conferences and other procedures, negotiations and settlements.
- Document:Maintain a full and complete chronology of events for each claim.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your key daily interactions will include:
- Colleagues on the Claims & Legal team, as well as other employees;
- Architectural firms and employees;
- Internal and external experts and consultants;
- Internal and external lawyers;
- Third party insurance adjusters.
You are an experienced, results-focused professional with the empathy, intelligence, and drive to help our customers through a sometimes lengthy claims process. You are active in your profession and likely to be a member in good standing of the Ontario Association of Architects and/or Member or Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. You bring:
- 8+ years of work experience;
- Active license preferred;
- An undergraduate degree in architecture;
- Exceptional analytical, critical and strategic-thinking skills;
- Strong administration and organizational skills;
- Proactive problem-solving capacity, finding creative solutions to meet the objective;
- Shrewd negotiating capabilities, establishing productive and effective working relationships;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication;
- Leadership experience (an asset); and
- Strong proficiency in basic office software (Office 365 or equivalent).
How to apply
Please submit your CV along with your Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pro-Demnity is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.
Pro-Demnity Insurance Company proudly supports Ontario’s architects with professional liability insurance and risk management solutions, so they can design, create and build the inspiring structures we live, work and socialize in. We’re also a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Ontario Architects Association. www.prodemnity.com
Our Purpose: to be the trusted ally to protect & defend the architectural profession and their families by strengthening and supporting their resiliency to the risks associated with practice.
Our Ambition: to strive each day to be the authority on risk, resulting in financially sustainable practices that unleash the full potential of the profession to improve society and human interaction through better design.
In pursuing our Purpose and Ambition, we build upon our core values of Trust, Accountability, Collaboration, and Innovation.