The School of Architecture is part of the Faculty of Environmental Design of the Université de Montréal, which offers programs at all three levels of study in its six disciplines: architecture, industrial design, interior design, game design, landscape architecture and urban planning. The diversity, quality and interdisciplinary nature of the faculty's training and research make it an exceptional place for the design of living environments.
The School of Architecture is one of the eleven schools in Canada whose programs are accredited by the Canadian Architectural Certification Board. It offers an undergraduate program and a professional master's program. In addition, faculty members supervise individualized PhD students in architecture and are actively involved in other graduate programs, including the programs in Project Management, Built Heritage Conservation, and Urban Design, as well as the interdisciplinary PhD program of the Faculty. The School has several research groups and two chairs. Their activities further the School's mission to contribute to the dynamism and renewal of the field; they are presented on the School’s website: http://architecture.umontreal.ca/
Description of the position
The School of Architecturecalls for applications for a tenure-track faculty position in Architecture. This is a full-time position at the rank of Assistant Professor. The School seeks a professor with expertise in project management, coupled with expertise in one of the following four areas:
- built heritage conservation and intervention on existing environments ;
- construction and environmental transition ;
- urban design ;
- modeling and use of new technologies in design and collaborative processes.
Candidates must propose a research program pertaining to the theory and the renewal of practices in the two fields of expertise, in an original and well-framed perspective. They will also have to demonstrate the potential for development of this research program and its possible contribution to teaching in the Architecture programs as well as in the Faculty programs in which the School participates.
- Teaching workshops, seminars and lecture courses in the Bachelor's and Master's degree programs in architecture as well as in the Faculty’s master's degree programs, mainly in the Project Management programs; supervision of doctoral students.
- Definition, development, and publicization of a research program in the field of project management.
- Contribution to academic life and to the functioning of the institution.
- Contribution to the university's visibility and influence.
- a PhD related to project management for the built environment or to one of the four fields listed above
two different master’s degrees in architecture, in project management or in related areas, and two years of experience in teaching and/or research in these fields
a master’s degree in environmental design or a related field, five years of experience (beyond the first professional degree) in professional-level teaching and research projects that demonstrate the applicant’s capacity to promote the development of the field
- a professional degree in architecture
- excellence in university teaching, especially in project teaching within design studios
- sufficient knowledge of the French language or a firm commitment to learn it once in the position through the French language support program offered by UdeM, in accordance with the University of Montreal's language policy
Any year of work experience and any proof of outreach (awards, grants, etc.) in the fields of professional practice and university research will be considered as assets.Application
You are invited to submit your application by sending us your file in PDF format. This application should include:
1) a statement of your educational interests and research program
2) a curriculum vitae
3) a sample of your published research
4) if applicable, a portfolio containing a selection of significant professional projects
5) a teaching dossier, including a portfolio of student work completed under your direction, as well as teaching evaluations
6) three letters of recommendation, sent directly by their authors
Documents should be sent in PDF format to:
Prof. Bechara Helal, Interim Director of the School of Architecture
Additional information about the position
June 4th , 2021 or until the position is filled
The Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries combined with a full range of benefits
On or after December 1st, 2021
Université de Montréal is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion. Through its Equal Access Employment Program, UdeM invites applications from women, Aboriginal people, visible and ethnic minorities, as well as persons with disabilities. We will –confidentially – adapt our recruitment mechanisms to the specific needs of people with disabilities who request it. We also welcome applications from candidates of all orientations and sexual identities. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents.
Université de Montréal’s application process allows all members of the Professor’s Assembly to review the application files submitted. If you wish to keep your application confidential until the shortlist is established, please mention it in your application.