The RAIC is the national voice for architects and architecture in Canada. Activities include advocacy, practice support, awards, and continuing education. The RAIC is proud to be known as a leading provider of high-quality and engaging continuing education opportunities that directly address the needs of practitioners at every stage of their career.
Under the direction of the Manager of Practice and Education, the Instructional Designer will be responsible for designing, developing, and facilitating delivery of continuing education and professional development opportunities. The Instructional Designer is passionate about delivering high-quality education programs. They will be a key team member in building a robust educational program at the RAIC. They will design and develop hybrid and online courses and help with the maintenance of the RAIC Learning Management System (LMS). The Instructional Designer works independently and is a keen problem solver. They are an excellent facilitator, communicator and organizer while working with subject matter experts, stakeholders and the Program Office team to develop unique and relevant content for the Canadian architectural community. Knowledge of contemporary adult learning strategies and rapid e-learning applications is essential. Knowledge of the profession and/or field of architecture would be considered an asset.
Typical work activities include some, or all, of the following:
- Support RAIC educational initiatives including, but not limited to, diploma, certificate, and credit-based programs and courses;
- Prepare briefing notes and interpretations of technical materials;
- Continued improvement of existing courses and/or development, launch and evaluation of new courses;
- Support day-to-day activities of educational programs and services.
Continuing Education – Course Development
- Collaborate with program office staff in the organization and administration of continuing education offerings: face-to-face, hybrid, and online modalities;
- Support professional development opportunities and coordinate the development of the RAIC’s continuing education courses and offerings, including budget and schedule planning and review;
- Maintain the RAIC Learning Management System (LMS), including:
o providing tech support to online learners and instructors;
o maintaining the functionality of online offerings (content management, quizzes, assignments and exams);
- Curriculum design-work with subject matter experts developing learning objectives, course content for continuing education and credit courses;
o This includes developing course resource documents and multimedia digital learning objects, building online content, designing and editing presentations, and building course activities and assignments;
- Support the facilitation of in-person continuing education workshops and online webinar presentations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
- College diploma or a bachelor’s degree in the field of adult education, curriculum development, instructional design, or related disciplines.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience designing quality online, face-to-face, and blended learning for professional audiences;
- Experience in the design, development, presentation, and evaluation of educational material for professional audiences;
- Knowledge of online delivery mechanisms and experience in a variety of delivery methods;
- Experience in building and managing courses in Moodle LMS;
- Experience in creating learning experiences, online modules, courseware using a range of software applications including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Articulate 360 Suite (Storyline, Studio, Rise, etc.);
- Experience in the application of instructional design principles to the development of educational content.
Skills, knowledge and abilities
- Exceptional communication skills (written, verbal, graphic, and editing);
- Demonstrated experience in the development of learning objectives and ensuring courseware matches those requirements;
- Ability to work with subject matter experts to identify and act on learning needs;
- Demonstrated strong organizational and schedule/resource management skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills including the exercising of tact, discretion and judgment at all times and with all levels of stakeholders (colleagues, the board of directors, volunteers, members, subject matter experts, etc.);
- An understanding and application of adult learning principles relating to professional development and continuing education in face-to-face, hybrid and online modalities;
- A positive attitude toward knowledge development and sharing, member driven organizations, and a program-centred focus;
- Ability to determine priorities, be self-directed and work with minimal supervision;
- Knowledge of, or interest in, architecture.
- Bilingual (English/French) is preferred;
- Experience in national, non-profit organizations is an asset;
- Customer service experience.
Contract length: 6 months